More on Li Yapeng’s July 23 Incident

After the incident at Bangkok International Airport on 23 July 2008, Li Ya Peng (李亚鹏) was  accompanied by Katie Chen (陈家瑛, Chen Jiaying) to the airport security office where the police took a statement. The male reporter who had been assaulted was also present. During the process, both parties argued. According to reports, Li Yapeng said, “That day, I talked to you patiently after you photographed my family at the hotel. But why did I hit you today? Because my daughter had been frightened by you. Your camera was right in her face. You scared her.” The male reporter countered, “You could have told me that you were unhappy with me, but you were wrong to assault me.”

The reporter also asked that Li Yapeng apologize in public and pay for the video camera that he had damaged when he attacked the female reporter. LYP replied, “That’s pretty funny. You harass me and ask me to apologize? It’s you who should say sorry.” The police announced that the incident and statements have been recorded for future reference. LYP asked for a copy of the video taken by the CCTV camera crew.

In an interview after the police interrogation, Li Yapeng said, politely, “Please wait for a moment. Let my mother and children leave before I say anything.” After they left, he explained that he behaved the way he did to protect his daughter. He asked the journalists, “Did you see how that reporter used his camera to take photographs of Li Yan [李嫣]? Did you see? His camera was in my daughter’s face!” Sighing, he continued, “It’s okay to photograph me, but not my daughter. I wouldn’t hit him only today if he did that again. I would hit him every time he does it. I will do anything to protect my daughters!”

Later, on the 24th, journalists approached Faye Wong (王菲), who was beside LYP. When a reporter shoved a mike into her face, Faye pushed it away with her hand. She said, in Cantonese, “I didn’t say I would accept your interview.” Faye was apparently angry about the incident the day before. The photo below was taken at a Bangkok hotel where the family was staying, some time after the incident.

(source: Asian Entertainment Universe, 24 July 2008)

Added 7.25.08: Faye Wong asked a friend at a local mediation center to intercede re the damaged camera and agreed to a 2300 Hong Kong dollar settlement (CNETNews, 7.25.08).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: