[revised 10 Feb 2010]
Faye Wong Today (FWT) is for English speakers interested in commentary on the latest news about Faye Wong (王菲). Comments provide background information and opinions often omitted in news stories. General focus: Who is Faye Wong? What is she up to? Why is she so famous in the Chinese-speaking world?
Who is Faye Wong? Here’s a comment that I posted on 8 Feb 2010 in response to a question from ghe:
Hi, ghe. Faye is Chinese. Yes, she is cute, and for us, her fans, Faye is not only the cutest and most beautiful woman in the world, but also the most talented. She is a one-off gifted performer, songwriter, actress, model, and human being who sets rather than follows trends. She has brought Chinese entertainment and fashion to a level that equals and often surpasses the rest of the world. Her body of work is so immense and of such a high quality that even her diehard fans, or “Fayenatics,” have difficulty grasping all of it. And the most amazing part of all this is that she is very intelligent, honest, humble, level-headed, generous, reticent, and soft-spoken. She is still the most popular entertainer in China, despite the fact that she doesn’t seek publicity and has been on a personal hiatus from the limelight for the past five years. People are attracted to her, and her best friends are some of the biggest and most talented performing artists in China. She is loved by all, men and women, young and old, and I would go so far as to say that she is China’s most valuable cultural treasure.
Considering the amount of misinformation about Faye that’s floating around on the web, I’m paying special attention to accuracy. Thus, if you do notice errors, please leave a comment identifying the errors and possible corrections.
I’m definitely interested in your thoughts and opinions so please post comments. If your comment provides info that may be of interest to everyone, I’ll post it as an article.
FWT is set to automatically post comments from addresses that have been previously approved. That is, if a visitor’s previous message has been approved for posting, her/his subsequent messages are posted immediately without moderation. However, if she posts from a different address, the comment will sit in a queue to be reviewed before being made public.
To reach me privately, email me at email@example.com. I sometimes forget to check my email so it may take a day or two for me to respond. If it’s urgent, post a comment in FWT to let me know that I have email.
Also, if you have suggestions for topics that you’d like to see covered or for improving this blog, please share them with me.
Questions & Answers
1. WordPress video problems: You need to install Adobe Flash Player 10.0 (or later). After downloading and installing it, restart your computer and log back in to Faye Wong Today.
2. Downloading videos and MP3s: Click here for the solution.
4. Sharing songs on Faye Wong Today: Any of the following methods would work:
- First, upload them to one of the following: (1) a free host site, (2) YouTube as audio-only videos, or (3) a webpage or blog.
- Next, post the URL in a comment to this message or to the “Fayve Songs” page (click on the tab at the top of the page).
- I’ll post the songs as MP3s and site the persons providing them.
5. Contacting the owner: Post a comment in the “About” page (click on the “About” tab at the top of the page). All comments are screened before publishing. If you add “private” or “don’t publish” in your message, it won’t be published.